Wednesday, July 08, 2009

You can’t really look at it…

But you wouldn’t guess it’s this awesome.

This is one of my best discoveries of late, a proof that the internet isn’t completely wasted effort. I’m not sure how I found it either, but here it is

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime-images.html

SOHO stands for Solar and Heliospheric Observatory. It’s an international project to monitor solar activity. The link above will take you directly to their most recent sun imagery, where you can see what the sun looks like through various spectrum (spectrae? spectra?) such as magnetic, infra-red, ultra-violet, and other I don’t really know. Take a look around, it’s really, really impressive. The section under “MPEG Movies” is an actual montage of the pictures, so you can see the sun “moving”. Again, it’s very cool, worth lots of time! Here’s a quick preview…

latest

The one above is right now (or the most recent they have)

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/eit_171/512/

Next one is from 12/18/2005, two days after CJ was born

20051218_2018_eit171_512

Very cool stuff!

2 comments:

Fe said...

That is way cool! Great pictures!

Brittany said...

Hey Marcio, I told Cade you found us some how and he said to give him a call at 336-202-5269. We are in NC so two hours ahead of you. You have a beautiful family!!
Brittany